Today we wanted to discuss how we use the Fastlane automation mobile app deployment tool and how it may help you with your mobile app business.
What the hell is Fastlane Automation and why do I need it?
Fastlane automation is an automation tool for iOS and Android mobile apps. It makes developer’s lives easier and more capable of handling larger, higher quality projects. Here at Edibu, we LOVE Fastlane and the help it provides to our development pipeline and continuous integration cycle. Please take a few minutes to view our video about how we use and how we may think it’ll help your mobile app development business create faster, higher quality code, while providing a more polished product in the end. This is the same tool we use to build / deploy all of our personal apps such as BowlSheet® as well as all of our client apps such as Transaction Data Systems Inc. Rx30 Mobile Apps.
Automate your development and release process
Keep EVERYTHING DRY
Capture screenshots automatically
Generate localized app store screenshots in minutes.
- Automatically capture localized screenshots for each language and device your app supports
- Configure it once, and store the configuration so anyone on the team can generate screenshots
- Work on something else – fastlane automation takes screenshots without interrupting your other tasks
Distribute beta builds
Easily publish new beta builds to testers so you can get valuable feedback, fast.
- Automate the most time-consuming beta distribution steps including incrementing the build version, code signing, building and uploading the app, and setting a changelog
- Support for over 15 beta testing services including TestFlight, Crashlytics Beta, Play, and Hockey
- Freely switch between beta services without needing to reconfigure fastlane
Publish your app with the push of a button
Automate the entire app store deployment process.
- Create a repeatable custom workflow to build, upload and distribute new releases to the app store
- Upload and manage all of your app’s metadata including screenshots
- Automatically submit new versions of your app for review
Automatic code signing for iOS
Avoid the frustration of managing code signing identities.
- Store your code signing identities and profiles in your own private, encrypted git repository to securely sync them across machines
- Once set up, every developer on your team can reproduce signed builds on any computer
Fastlane Snapshot function
Here’s some examples taken from Rx30 Signature, a Transaction Data Systems Inc. Rx30 mobile app used to collect signatures in pharmacies.
Have a topic you’d like us to discuss?
We love to discuss anything development or multimedia related. Have an topic you’d like Dave and I to discuss? Let us know! Send us your questions or topics and we’ll discuss it ASAP.